Do you know about the Buy Nothing Northeast Seattle group on Facebook? It is a marvelous place to post when you have usable things you want to give away, or to ask for something you need. In other words, it's a forum for micro-local gift economy in action. I got rid of a big pile of (useless to me) rocks this week to a guy who was excited to have them for landscaping, and I gave a pair of shelves to a woman who wanted to build steps for her cat. Last month a fellow gave me a VCR when mine broke.
Guidelines from the group page:
Here's what you can post, written in full sentences that tell a bit about yourself and why you're posting these things:- Offers of goods and services freely given or loaned.
- Requests for goods and services freely given or loaned.
- Sharing of gratitude for gifts received, friendships formed, experiences, life lessons, and other good things that being a part of this community brings to your life.
- Tutorials, suggestions, and tips that will help your fellow group members make the most of this Facebook platform or life as part of a gift economy.
Things that don't belong:
- Any selling, buying, trading, bartering, or requests for cash.
- Personal status updates that tell your Buy Nothing group friends how your day is going.
- Links to other great Facebook groups or websites.
- Requests for referrals to local businesses or professionals whose services and goods you will pay for.